I recently read an article in some such magazine about the 10 things every woman should have. This, of course, was written by a man and, being a “glamor” magazine, he was a designer. Yes, at least one of the things that every woman should have is one of his designer bags.
However inane the article, it got me thinking about the 40-something woman, myself included, and what were the 10 things we should have. At this point in my life, I look around and ask myself – what should that be?
10. A good hair cutter and/or hairdresser. By this time, I’ve figured out what I like in the people who take care of me – an attitude that is like mine. The main thing my hairdresser should have is the goal of helping me look good. That’s why I keep going back.
9. A method to their closet. I know what I like in clothes now, although I’m willing to have a “fad” section. But in the end, if I can’t find it, I’ve lost it. So, I actually separate my clothes by color and type, so I can find them. No, I haven’t alphabetized them. That’s next.
8. A good ear for what your body is saying. There comes some point, about now, where you realize that you are not all that. And you’re not 20 any longer. But you’re not dead yet, either. Movement is good. Healthy food is good. Laughter and sleep – way good. Push a little sometimes, back off others. We know when too far is, well, too far. And being women of body intelligence, we listen.
7. An amazing chiropractor and an equally amazing massage therapist. Remember that whole body thing? Well these guys are there for when we forget to listen.
6. A favorite chocolate. Lindt 85% Chocolate. Enough said.
5. A few good recipes. Whether you’re a light cook or a die-hard, there’s something we should all know how to pull out of the drawer, once in a while, and make off the top of our head, whether it’s S’mores or Beef Wellington.
4. Our own style. By this time, we’ve figured out our likes, dislikes, and never like it again things – whether it’s sports, clothing, food, makeup, hobby, etc. We know what drives the passion, fuels the fire, and gets us creative, the true reason for being. What do we create? It doesn’t matter, as long as it has the stamp of “us” on it.
3. A passion. Not only do we have a sense of style but we’ve discovered the source – our passion, a reason for getting up in the morning and greeting the day. Writing, children, painting, music, partner, garden, school – whatever it is, every woman needs her passion.
2. Perspective. Not only do we know that we are pretty powerful, we also know our limitations. We should have the ability to step back and get the entire picture, the whole enchilada. We have been there and in many case, done that. We can speak from experience. All experience? Hell no! That’s perspective, too.
1. And yes, the number one thing every woman my age should have is: A sense of humor. Come on! If we can’t laugh at ourselves now, it’s just going to get really ugly later. Life is not to be endured but enjoyed. We’re going to sag, bag, and lag. We’re going to get gray, well, most of us will. We’re going to want to take naps. Yes, we will age. We will require moisturizer. Let’s laugh along the way. We never know how long we’re going to get so let’s just enjoy what we have right now.
And look, there’s not a purse amongst the things I need. Take that, Michael Kors!